Thursday, January 19, 2012

Fishy Delishy

Had my first day of the semester today. Normally I am at the satellite campus near my house for night classes with a bunch of other full-time working adults like myself, but this semester I am going down to the main campus and taking classes during the day tuesdays and thursdays. Been a long time since I went to school during the day. And with 18 year olds. I am going to spare you the details about how old (and mature) I felt, but let me just say it was hard to deny it when I couldn't stop feeling intensely annoyed that the girl in front of me was repeatedly tossing her hair while lamenting about her boyfriend to the girl next to her. She was eating a lollipop while doing it, too! Honestly! I can't even make things like that up.
Annnnyway, after I sat through 6 hours of class and went to work for 2 hours, I got home without giving dinner even a moments thought, so I had a salad and a sweet potato and warmed up chili for Mr. 31. Simple and easy. But, to cheer up my bored belly, I figured I would post about the amazingly yummy and super-healthy meal I made the other night. You better grab a tissue now, because your mouth is going to be watering in .5 seconds.
I had seen a few recipes for fish topped with a fruit salsa and wanted to try it, but on this particular evening they all called for ingredients I didn't have, so I just decided to wing it. (One of the things I always have in the freezer is fish. I like the flash-frozen stuff they sell at Wegmans, but I am not a grocery store snob (especially not on our income!), so I am sure any fish would do in this dish. Sidenote: what do you do when you need to have double parentheses like that? you know, a thought within a thought? I don't know if using two sets is actually proper. Oh well.)  Back to dinner: I quick-thawed some tilapia and some flounder and seasoned them with a bit of EVOO (rachel ray anyone?) and balsamic fish rub I bought at Tabora Farm. While they cooked under the broiler - which is my new favorite cooking method! - I made the salsa. It took me less than 5 minutes, start to finish. I also cut up some broccoli and shoved it in the microwave to steam.
To serve, I just heaped the salsa over the fish and topped it with some avocado. It was superbly delicisioso! For lunch the next day I put the leftover salsa on rice noodles and chicken with fresh tomatoes. I kind of think the flavors were even better after they sat overnight!

Mango Salsa  (i didn't measure anything - I just added lots of what I like and added more vinegar per taste)

1 lrg. mango, diced
1 sm. red onion, diced
Handful of cilantro
green onions, to taste 
avocado, diced plus a few sliced for garnish
salt
pepper

Mix together all ingredients. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and several tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Mix.

Don't you wish you were eating this?

There would have been more in the bowl, but I was devouring it while the fish cooked!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Please share!